Non Chlorine Shock: What Is It and How Does It Work?

Non Chlorine Shock:

Swimming pools are a great way to cool off during the hot summer months, but they can also be a breeding ground for bacteria and other harmful microorganisms. That’s why it’s important to keep your pool clean and well-maintained. One of the key components of pool maintenance is using a pool shock treatment, which helps to kill bacteria and sanitize the water. But what about those who prefer to avoid chlorine? Enter non-chlorine shock.

What is Non Chlorine Shock?

Non chlorine shock, also known as “oxidizing shock,” is a pool treatment that helps to eliminate organic contaminants in the water. Unlike traditional pool shock treatments, which use chlorine to sanitize the water, non-chlorine shock uses an alternative oxidizing agent, such as potassium peroxymonosulfate or MPS.

How Does Non Chlorine Shock Work?

When you add non-chlorine shock to your pool, it reacts with the organic contaminants in the water, such as sweat, sunscreen, and other impurities. This reaction creates a powerful oxidation process that helps to break down and eliminate these contaminants. The end result is a cleaner, clearer pool that is safe for swimming.

Benefits of Non Chlorine Shock

One of the primary benefits of non-chlorine shock is that it does not contain any chlorine, which can be a concern for some pool owners. Chlorine has a distinct smell and can cause skin and eye irritation for some people. Non-chlorine shock, on the other hand, is much gentler and less irritating to the skin and eyes.

Another benefit of non-chlorine shock is that it is compatible with a wider range of pool chemicals. Chlorine shock can sometimes react with other pool chemicals, causing cloudiness or other issues. Non-chlorine shock, however, is generally safe to use with other pool chemicals, making it a more versatile option for pool owners.

How to Use Non Chlorine Shock

Using non-chlorine shock is a simple process. First, make sure that your pool’s pH levels are balanced. If the pH is too high or too low, it can affect the effectiveness of the shock treatment. Next, add the non-chlorine shock directly to the pool water, following the instructions on the package. Be sure to distribute the shock treatment evenly throughout the pool. Finally, wait several hours before swimming to allow the shock treatment to take effect.


Non chlorine shock is an excellent alternative to traditional chlorine shock treatments. It offers many of the same benefits, such as eliminating organic contaminants and sanitizing the pool water, without the potential downsides of chlorine. If you’re looking for a gentler, more versatile pool shock treatment, consider giving non-chlorine shock a try.

Share Now:

Scroll to Top